Wednesday 17 April 2013

Land of the Undead

Hello friends!

Today I write to you from... The Land of The Undead!

Duh duh .... duh!

(I hope that was as dramatic for you as it was for me.)

Okay, so maybe it's the fact that I've been up past 3 am every night for the past week, or maybe the stress from exams is starting to take a toll on my mental stability, but I'm really starting to feel like a zombie. And looking around the library at 10:00 at night, I can tell I'm not the only one.



The Land of the Undead, otherwise known as the library, is currently housing a number of students zombies who looks as though they are going to fall asleep on their keyboards, and a few of them actually have.

Instead of braaaaaains, we are all like "coffeeeeeee!"

... although maybe brains might be more helpful when trying to pass exams? I wonder if I can get them anywhere with my meal card?

Ok, to the point!

What I really wanted to show you was this: 



Dove did this amazing beauty campaign to show just how much women underestimate their beauty. It's absolutely eye opening to realize just how much of a difference a change of perspective can make. What really struck me is that you can be so hung up on one minor detail about your self that you don't like, maybe you think your nose is to big, or you have too many freckles, but other people don't notice that. They see your smile, and your eyes, or the little dimples on your cheeks. So why worry about it so much?

Now, if I sat here trying to teach you how to have a good self image, I would be the first to call myself a hypocrite. I know that a good self esteem is very hard to obtain. I struggle with body issues everyday. But I think this video may have put me a step in the right direction. I highly recommend you take a look.

Now, I have heard the critics, and yes I understand where they are coming from when they say "You are more than just beautiful." This is true, but you don't need to hate on this campaign for it. Dove wasn't saying that physical beauty is all that maters. They were trying to give women everywhere a self esteem boost, so that they could begin to view themselves more positively. Everyone deserves to know that they are beautiful, inside and out. Because that's what's true.

Tootles!
- Dare

4 comments:

  1. Ooh good post, Dare. ;)

    I tagged you! http://teresadelallo.blogspot.com/2013/04/questions-and-factses-and-more.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know what you mean, with this sort of thing being hard and all. I spend all day telling my friends how pretty they look, and they're always "I'm so beautiful" and "well of course, I ALWAYS look good". Myself though, I don't consider myself pretty. At all. I tend to make up for it by being shocking; wear the strangest clothing, the most colourful combinations. All to make me stand out, yea? This seems counterproductive, and sometimes I"m not sure why i do it. But then, what you said about people seeing the smile, or eyes, made me think. Is it little more than a distraction? I think it might, because people never describe me with my looks. They say "The girl with the crazy pants" or "that chick with the rainbow jacket".
    One thing I can say about myself though, is that I don't mope about it. The lack of pretty, I mean. I feel that I have accepted it, and I sorta figure that's that. I mean, I never wear makeup, and haven't made an effort to get contacts. It's kinda like: You are pretty, you are not. Please get over it.
    One thing though, I can admit to being self conscious about, is my weight. Other than the disguised jabs and offhand comments is this: Everyone can complain about things like how their hair looks bad, or their calves are too big and what have you. but as soon as I voice my annoyance on not being able to find pants small enough to fit me, or at the fact that every dress I own had to be taken in, oh horror. "What are you complaining about? You're so thin! You can't say anything!" "Shut up, I'm on a diet." "My god, you're so ungrateful! Just get over it" You can see how being described as a stick and then being ridiculed at my annoyance of it, could lead to a small lack of self esteem in that area.
    And now I've gone off on a tangent; apologies. I didn't mean to ramble for that long... Ok, shutting up now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No worries! I enjoy reading everyone's opinion! Isn't that what blogging is about? ;)

      Delete